Choose the Best Garage Storage System
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Garage Storage Systems
13 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Do you have a cluttered garage? Are you looking for the best way to store your tools and other items in there, but don’t know where to start? This guide is full of useful tips on how you can declutter and organize your space. You’ll also find reviews of the top 5 garage storage systems that are currently available so that you can choose what will work best for you.
Racor PHL-R Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift – the Editor’s choice!
The built-in nylon rings allow you to easily adjust the amount of tension required when applying the lift. High strength steel allows for up to 250 pounds worth of lifted weight making it safe if someone is using while mounting or removing – mounting takes less than 10 minutes with all included installation accessories.
The Racor PHL-R Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift is a new and innovative garage storage system that gives you 16 sq ft of additional overhead storage space so your power tools and heavier items are finally easily accessible.
FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack – the best for durability!
Paired with 6 vertical posts, it’s the most effective choice when securing up the weight on the screen door during installation. All hardware has been tested in order to design a device that not only secures well but can also be easily installed by yourself with no need for assistance from a professional.
Say goodbye to inefficient and disorganized storage space. FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack is the answer! Made of top-quality components, this rack system can hold items like bikes or sports equipment.
Wall Control Metal Pegboard Kit – the best for tool storage!
This attractive, magnetic, powder-coated finish holds up to weather conditions in lawn & garden environments like regular metal pegboard won’t. Start organizing your shelves for any environment with our tough pegboard kits today.
Wall Control’s metal pegboard offers many advantages over conventional plastic pegboard. In addition to being stronger and more durable, it is also compatible with more than just traditional pegs – Wall Control’s slotted tool boards mount directly into studs or sheetrock so there is no need for a framework.
Wall Control 30-WGL-200GVB Galvanized Steel Pegboard Tool Organizer – the best for easy assembly!
The magnetic design includes steel that prevents wear on the holes from pegs, is rust-resistant, and mountable without screws or nails to studs or sheetrock for easy installation.
It includes the standard slotted hooks with lengths of 0.75 inches as well as 3 different sizes: medium (1.09 inches), long (6 inches), and U-hook kits (3 inches).
Wall Control 30-WGL-200GVB Galvanized Steel Pegboard Tool Organizer is the ultimate solution for making an organized workspace. Tough nuts are covered with softer plastic so they can be easily removed from the wall without damaging it.
Seville Classics Commercial Grade Bin Rack Shelving System – the best for capacity!
It can be perfect for high-volume commercial kitchens, restaurants, catering halls and grocery stores. With 7 tiers of stacking bins that adjust at 1-inch increments it easily fits all your storage needs to maximize space efficiency.
The Seville Classics Commercial Grade Bin Rack Shelving System is a great addition to any office, warehouse, or storage idea. With its 7-tiers and 16 polypropylene bins with locking feature, this storage solution will help you organize your space in no time!
The Buyer’s Guide
Garage Storage System Types
There are 3 primary types of garage storage systems. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages that you should be aware of before making a purchase:
- Shelving units. Shelves provide the most versatility because they can store almost anything if it fits on them. The downside is that they take up more floor space when compared to other options, which may not work well for smaller garages or homes with limited square footage;
- Cabinets. Cabinets offer an alternative to shelving units by providing additional storage areas in less overall space than shelves do, but at the expense of flexibility since cabinets cannot store items that don’t fit inside their doors without taking up extra space or using permanent attachments. These usually come equipped with a hinged or sliding door which allows for easy access without having to have the whole cabinet open;
- Wall systems. Wall systems either come in metal or wood and can be custom built to suit your needs. They are often more expensive than other options, but they provide an efficient way of maximizing space with large shelves that go up at various levels on each side of the wall (if you choose this option) as well as providing a place for mounting things like tools on peg boards if needed. The downside is these types usually take at least two people to get installed correctly so it’s not something most homeowners will do themselves unless they’re experienced builders and/or handymen;
The best garage storage systems will depend on your needs. If you’re looking for something that maximizes floor space, go with shelving units or cabinets which are great if there’s enough room to allow them the extra vertical height. Choosing this option may require some creativity so be prepared to make adjustments in other areas of your home due to limited square footage.
If you need flexible options and don’t mind sacrificing a little floor space, choose from wall systems or cabinets since they provide more flexibility when it comes to storing different types of items – including things like larger bulky items such as ladders and bicycles without taking up valuable floor space. Wall-mounted shelves also offer an alternative solution for those who have smaller garages but still want maximum storage space.
In general, wall systems are the most expensive option but they’re also more efficient because of their ability to maximize storage in a smaller amount of floor space with large shelves that go up at various levels on each side of the wall (if you choose this option). Shelving units and cabinets can be cheaper alternatives for those who don’t need as much long-term flexibility or want something easier to install themselves without professional assistance.
Garage Storage System Mounting
Garage storage system mounting is an important step in the process of installing a new garage storage system. It can be difficult to choose which products and accessories will work best for each individual project. That’s why we compiled this list of all your options so you don’t have to worry about anything!
4 types of brackets that mount on the wall:
Metal brackets attach directly to drywall without any additional attachment hardware needed. Plastic and wood mounts need screws or nails inserted into the studs while steel ones just require two screw holes drilled into them before they’re mounted onto the wall – making it substantially easier than wooden/plastic variants because you don’t have to worry about finding the studs and pre-drilling them.
Metal brackets generally provide more stability than plastic ones, meaning that they’ll require less drilling into your walls when you’re trying to mount something onto it (and will be much easier). The only downside is that metal brackets can sometimes be difficult/impossible to install if there are no drywall screws or nails in place – so double check before you buy!
Plastic mounts also create a bit of an eyesore because they usually show up on the wall for everyone to see like a big “X”.
Wood mounts work well with heavy items like shelves but lack adjustability options while steel mounts come in many shapes and sizes. If you go this route then make sure to account for every possibility before you buy.
Plastic mounts are best paired with metal brackets and heavy items – like shelves or tool racks, because they lack the stability needed when dealing with less weight. If you need a mount that’s adjustable then go ahead and get one made of steel; these can be mounted in just about any position (including upside down) which makes them perfect for odd spaces.
Wood mounts work well if you’re looking to save on wall damage – but will require more time/effort than others. These aren’t ideal if your garage is situated next to an exterior wall because moisture coming through from outside could cause problems over time.
Steel studs might not always exist so make sure there’s enough space on the wall to fit your bracket.
Obviously, you need a storage system before anything else! Make sure that any shelving or racks you install can be mounted onto one of these brackets so you don’t have to worry about it falling when everything is loaded up on it. The last thing anyone wants is for their new garage storage system to come crashing down while they’re in there working away – and if this happens then who knows how much damage could ensue. It’s just safer (and easier!) all around if you plan ahead.
Is a garage storage system expensive?
Garage storage systems are usually more expensive than other types of shelving. However, it will depend on what type of system you get (wire vs. wood), and the size as well as how many shelves you need for your garage or shed. It is possible to find an affordable option if you look around enough!
The best way to find out what storage system would be the most ideal for you is to use a simple online calculator that will give you dimensions and shelving options.
How much does motorized overhead garage storage cost?
The average cost for overhead garage storage is about $100-$200. The more expensive ones are usually motorized which means they can be raised and lowered by remote control, making it easier to store and retrieve items. Price points vary depending on the size of the unit you choose (small, medium or large) as well as its features including height adjustment, precision cutting capacity and loading capacity.
How to check the quality of the garage storage system before buying it?
You may want to look at the warranty, guarantees and customer reviews. You can also check out if it is made of quality materials such as steel or wood by checking to see how sturdy it feels before buying.
What are some common questions people have about garage storage systems? People often wonder what type of material they should use for their garage flooring and walls because different types will offer different benefits depending on your needs.
For example, you might need a more durable surface that is easy to clean in case you do any auto repair work in your garage while someone else might be looking for something cheaper that doesn’t distract from the natural beauty of their home’s interior design. There are many other considerations too so make sure you ask plenty of questions to make sure you’re getting the right product for your needs.
How can I organize my garage cheaply?
The best way to organize your garage cheaply is by using a shelving system. Shelves are great because they can be customized, and you can buy more shelves or move them around as needed.
There are many styles of shelves available, but the most popular style for garages and workshops is a pegboard with hooks on which to hang metal items like wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers etc.
Wire storage racks look good in any space and have plenty of room inside too – plus it’s easy to see what you’ve got! The wire rack also comes in handy if you’re looking for something specific since everything will be visible from all angles. It is understood that these types of systems come at different price points depending on how big your garage is.
If you have a small garage, a pegboard and hooks are the best way to go, but if your garage is large enough for shelves or wire racks, those systems will also work well for you.
What is a gladiator system?
A gladiator system is a type of storage rack that utilizes hooks on the top and bottom to create different levels. The hooks can be interconnected, which allows for even more space-saving opportunities. This type of shelving unit is ideal for storing everything from garden tools to paint cans, as it’s perfect for stacking items vertically in order to maximize your available floor space. It could also be used like an exhibition stand where you show off personal belongings or family heirlooms!
How do I organize my garage full of everything?
The first thing you should do is get rid of anything that’s broken, outdated or just unused. This will give a clearer picture on what you actually have and how much space it takes up in your garage. Once this has been done put things into similar categories like tools, sports gear, camping gear etc. Then make piles out of these groups so there are no items left over and mix the sizes together to save more space when possible (you can always come back to those smaller sized pieces later).
Next, make sure to label every individual item in your piles so you know what is what when it’s time to put things back. If anything looks like it would take up a lot of space or you won’t need for at least six months put them into another box and store outside the garage where possible (like a spare bedroom). This will not only help create more storage space but also save time going through those items later.
The last thing experts recommend doing is using hooks on walls instead of shelves as this saves even more space that can be used elsewhere.
If there are still any larger pieces left over after putting everything else away, it’s time to rethink your storage systems.
Here are some common mistakes people often make when trying to clear out their garages:
- Not taking the time to organize and donate what they don’t need (or want);
- Putting things back without labeling, so it takes more effort finding them later on;
- Trying to store too many items in one space leads to it turning unusable for years. Remember that garage spaces should only be used temporarily until you find a better place for them;
Once everything is organized into piles with labels, take away anything that can fit other places or doesn’t belong in the garage – this will help save even more space! This may include stuff like boxes of clothes from last season, old backyard furniture, old toys from when your kids were younger and so on.
What should I keep in my garage?
Maintain an organized garage by storing items that are not in use. Items like gardening supplies, tools, paint cans should be stored away from living areas of the house or where children play. This will keep your home safe for family members and guests as you can find what you need without getting messy.
What should NOT be stored in a garage?
If you have a garage, it is likely that the space has been used to store items other than cars. If your goal is to make sure that each item in your garage gets some attention—or avoid having so much stuff accumulated all at once, here are some things not to keep stored there:
- Chemicals and hazardous materials should never be kept close by the car. This includes anything from gasoline or paint thinner to weed killer or pesticides if you happen to garden in your backyard as well. These can contaminate a vehicle’s engine compartment and any spills could cause damage on the driveway or pathways leading into the house! Make these products easily accessible elsewhere for easy transfer via wheelbarrow when needed (to reduce trips back and forth);
- Hair dryers, curling irons and other electrical items should not be kept in the garage. These can interfere with car batteries if they’re left plugged into an outlet or car charger for too long (or at all). Keep them inside your house and use a power strip outside to plug any chargers you may need on those rare occasions when it’s necessary to charge something up there. This includes iPods, laptops, cell phones, etc.;
- Insecticides/pesticides. Take care of these products by storing them appropriately outdoors away from where people will typically walk. Don’t leave any containers open so insects don’t get inside instead of out;
- Flooring materials. When installing new flooring onto a garage floor, be sure to use a vapor-barrier underneath the rest of your materials;
Don’t forget important items outside:
- Tools! Get them out from under stuff and hang them on a pegboard or tiered tool chests. Store other tools in plastic containers (for protection) alongside workbenches for convenience. You’ll know what you have without having to dig around looking for it. Label these with their contents too so any family member can easily find things;
- Animal food/medicine. Keep this stored in an outdoor shed away from anything that might contaminate the products if there is a breakage like antifreeze etc.);
How can I organize my garage with no money?
Garages are notorious for being neglected and turned into clutter zones. This is because there’s nothing worse than looking at a messy, cluttered garage on top of everything else that stresses you out- especially when it comes to finding your stuff in the morning.
But don’t worry – with these tips (and some elbow grease) you can turn any garage into an unobtrusive zone where all your car care supplies live comfortably. Here are our best organizational ideas for garages without money:
- Use shelves or racks to store seldom used items like gardening equipment or seasonal decorations. Keep them high up so they’re not cluttering ground level storage spaces but still easy enough to grab if needed;
- You might be surprised by how many boxes of old clothes you can store in the backseat or trunk of your car if need be;
- Bag up those recyclables and hide them away out-of-sight on a shelf. Not only will this keep them from cluttering up visible space, but it’ll also help reduce any clutter around the house;
- Create an overflow parking spot for all that excess junk by using some furniture to create temporary barriers with moveable chairs, tables, even sofas. When you’re done sorting through stuff (or just after winter!), clear everything off and put those items back where they belong;
Video Tutorial: New Age Pro 3.0 Series Cabinets
If you’re still not sure which storage system is right for your garage, don’t worry. The experts have done the work for you and created a list of 5 different systems that are all worth considering based on your needs.